Pet Insurance Rating Methodology
Before choosing a pet insurance provider to protect the health of your furry companion, consider factors such as policy coverage, plan customization, and customer experience. To save our readers’ time, we spent hours researching pet insurance companies and rated each company’s overall performance on a variety of metrics.
Here’s a breakdown of each review factor and how much we weighted them:
Customer Satisfaction And Financial Strength Review
The VPI pet insurance BBB rating is A+, a testament to their superior quality pet insurance coverage. The VPI pet insurance AM Best has a higher rating than many other pet insurance providers. Another advantage of why many people prefer to use VPI pet insurance is that there are relatively low VPI pet insurance complaints because of their higher quality service.;
Embrace Pet Insurance User Reviews
Embrace Pet Insurance reviews on Reddit and customer feedback sites are overwhelmingly positive. Heres a recap of the common praise and complaint points:
One of the best aspects of Embrace is how quick and convenient everything works:
- Enrollment only takes a few minutes.
- You can access your client panel from desktop and mobile.
- The claims form is straightforward, and you can send it online, by fax, or physical mail.
Client reviews of Embrace Pet Insurance also point out the affordable pricing structure as a significant perk and a wellness plan for dogs and cats.
Overall, most users consider Embrace one of the best full-coverage pet insurance options to save money and ensure the best care for your four-legged best friend.
The most common Embrace Pet Insurance complaints relate to their waiting period and pre-existing condition policy.
If your pet exhibits symptoms before the policy kicks in, the condition wont be covered. Even if the symptoms were vague and never linked to the current illness, this still applies. For a lot of owners, this comes as an unpleasant surprise in the form of denied claims. Embrace Pet Insurance reviews on BBB all relate to these problems .
To protect yourself, make sure you do the free medical history review right after the waiting period. The Embrace team will look over your pets records, and if they find any reason for denying claims, you can cancel your policy and apply for a refund.
Read Also: Does Barclaycard Cover Travel Insurance
Embrace Pet Insurance Limitations
While the Embrace health insurance does cover a wide range of conditions, its equally important to know whats not covered.
Embrace Pet Insurance Waiting Period;
After you sign up, there is a waiting period to prevent insurance fraud. The timeline looks like this:
- 48 hours for accidents and injuries
- 14 days for illnesses
- Six months for orthopedic conditions for dogs
The waiting period starts when the policy becomes effective. If your pet has an issue during this period, Embrace wont reimburse you. You can shorten the orthopedic waiting period to 14 days by taking your pet for an orthopedic exam and following the waiver procedure. The standard Embrace policy wont reimburse this exam, but the Wellness Rewards program can. Reducing the orthopedic waiting period is simple and straightforward, and it could save you money if your pet has an issue in the first six months, so most mbrace Pet Insurance reviews highly recommend you consider it.
If your pet has a history of medical issues, they typically count as pre-existing conditions even if they werent diagnosed.
For instance, your dog was vomiting and losing weight for a few months before you took out the policy. The vet prescribed an antibiotic, and the symptoms subsided. Six months into the insurance, the issue returns, and your dog is diagnosed with inflammatory bowel syndrome.
Since symptoms appeared before you got the insurance, it typically wont cover the treatment.
After You Enroll In Embrace Pet Insurance
Once you purchase a policy, Embrace Pet Insurance outlines what will occur next. There is a waiting period for when your policy kicks in. For example, you will have to wait for two weeks prior to your insurance to kick in for illnesses. Accidents or other incidences can take anywhere from two days to two weeks. Depending on your state, there is also a waiting period for conditions like orthopedic procedures. This is typical for any insurance company, but knowing this should encourage you to get a jump-start on signing up for your policy.
An option that you have is to complete a medical history review. This is done just like a human health insurance policy. It just provides you peace of mind, and does not impact your policy. You can only get this service after you enroll for Embrace Pet Insurance. If by chance it is discovered that your pet has a pre-existing condition, you have the option of canceling your insurance with their 30 day money back guarantee.
Also Check: Best Car Home Insurance
Latest Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews
For the most part, customers in 2021 are happy with their coverage through Embrace pet insurance. According to reviewer Ada of Sylmar from California, the claims process was accessible, and representatives were understanding, knowledgeable, and helpful. As LAUREN of Overland Park, Kansas, notes, she was able to reach a human representative without trouble most of the time.;
Another , says that the renewal process is just as straightforward, even after filing a claim. Long-term customer Richard Partridge states that Embrace offers superior customer service when compared to other top pet insurers.;
There have been some complaints of Embrace not honoring claims, mainly due to pre-existing conditions. According to complaints to the Better Business Bureau, there have been multiple instances where the company has unfairly denied claims, citing pre-existing conditions. Many pet owners who have needed emergency treatment have had trouble getting the coverage that they need.
Some clients have complained about claims processing through Embrace. According to Debra S. from Yelp, it took months to process a simple claim due to a lack of communication between her vets office and Embrace Pet Insurance. Another reviewer, Connie L., notes that Embrace ignored her insurance claim and subsequent contact attempts.
Embrace keeps pet insurance refreshingly simple with one core plan that you personalize to meet your budget.
;Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Is Pet Insurance Worth The Cost
Pet parents know that the cost of pet ownership is not cheap, and its impossible to say whether pet insurance will ever pay for itself simply because no one can predict the future. Ultimately, having pet insurance is worth it for some people, but not for others.
Ideally, your pet will never suffer a major illness or injury that requires extensive veterinary care. But as with all insurance, the idea is that by paying a nominal fee for coverage, youll eliminate the risk of having to pay thousands in the unlikely event that your pet does face a critical emergency. Many pet owners feel that this cost is worth knowing theyll never face a time that they cant afford a life-saving procedure for their beloved 4-legged family members.
Dr. Kenney also noted in his recent interview that “Pet insurance isn’t a one-size-fits-all type of product. A pet insurance company and policy needs to be chosen around the needs of the pet, the wants of the pet owner, and the budget available for the pet’s healthcare expenses.”
For example, lets say your pet is hit by a car and is rushed to the nearest veterinary hospital. After an emergency surgery, the total bill comes to $2,500. Without pet insurance, youd be on the hook for the full amount. However, if you had a mid-tier policy with a $500 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate, youd only be responsible for $1,000 out of pocket.
You May Like: Does Dental Insurance Cover Veneers
How Much Does Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.
Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.
How Embrace Pet Insurance Works
Like other types of insurance, pet policies from Embrace Pet Insurance are intended to protect you financially if your pet becomes sick or injured.
Embrace Pet Insurance offers a simple and comprehensive plan with benefits that will help your pet get the care they need if they face an unexpected health issue.
Embrace Pet Insurance allows you to choose your own annual maximum, annual deductible, and reimbursement percentage for a truly personalized policy.
Pet insurance from Embrace covers the following issues with both dogs and cats:
- Alternative therapies & rehabilitation
- Dental illness to $1,000/year
- Diagnostic tests
- Prosthetic limbs or other devices like mobility aids
Embrace Pet Insurance also offers prescription drug coverage.
This coverage is available with every policy, and it reimburses for FDA-approved and homeopathic drugs prescribed for coverage conditions, including medicines such as antibiotics, allergy medicine, insulin, and eye drops.
When it comes to what is not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance, you probably wont be surprised to hear the company does not cover pre-existing conditions.
However, there is an important variable here since Embrace does cover what they consider to be curable pre-existing conditions.
If your pet has shown symptoms for a condition that is curable prior to enrolling with Embrace Pet Insurance, you will need to go through a 12-month waiting period before related conditions are covered.
Also Check: Life Insurance Licence
What Increases And Lowers Premium Costs
The average monthly cost of pet insurance with accident and illness coverage is $49.51 for dogs and $28.48 for cats, which partially answers how much a dog costs and how much a cat costs.
Pet insurance costs vary widely based on several factors, including the pets breed, gender, age, location, and your chosen coverage options and deductible.
- Pre-existing conditions Pet insurance providers will not reimburse you for conditions your dog, cat, or other pet already had before you bought the pet insurance policy.
- Preventative care add-ons Youll get the best value from an accident or illness coverage plan, but you could add coverage for preventative care. Policies that cover routine care and accident or illness care are called comprehensive coverage.
- Pets age After your dog or cat reaches age 12, your choices for new coverage will diminish significantly. To have the most options, buy a policy before your pet reaches an advanced age.
- Deductibles With many plans, you set the deductible, which is the money you must pay before your insurance policy kicks in. Watch out for per-incident deductibles. Per-year deductibles provide a better value.
- Where you live Generally speaking, pets that live in urban areas will have higher pet insurance rates due to higher costs of veterinary care, among other socioeconomic factors. Some states may also have higher costs, such as New York or California.
Embrace Helped With My Very High Vet Bills
I had to take my 12 year old cat in for tests, as she was not eating and listless. My regular vet performed what services she could, but then recommended a specialist at an emergency hospital. As expected, the bills were through the roof.I sent the claims in online to Embrace, and within about a week, my claims were settled and I had reimbursement checks in the mail about 2 weeks later. Smooth and no issues at all. Very grateful for the settlement.BTW, my cat Pearl seems to be doing well!
Reply from Embrace Pet Insurance
Excellent customer service with Embrace every time! So happy with them.
Reply from Embrace Pet Insurance
It’s so easy to submit a claim through your app. I’m so thankful that I got this insurance for our new puppy.
Reply from Embrace Pet Insurance
So far, after putting in 4 claims, two were paid as they represented sudden illness. Two were denied as being pre-existing conditions. Checks came very quickly. I cannot complain about service and coverage.
Reply from Embrace Pet Insurance
Grateful for reviewing my claim in a timely manner and explaining what is and what is not covered. But overall, representatives are very helpful and courteous when I ask questions about my claims.
Reply from Embrace Pet Insurance
Don’t Miss: How To Obtain A Life Insurance License
How We Found The Best Pet Insurance Companies
To thoroughly assess the top pet insurance companies and find the best, we researched several policy aspects that make these providers stand out and spoke to experienced veterinary doctors.
We evaluated each policy by looking at:
- Pet insurance costs, including average rates
- Coverage options
- Claims processes for all the featured companies
- Flexibility with premiums and deductibles
- Any potential limits on payments to policyholders.
- Available channels to contact customer service agents
Finally, we sought out pet insurers that offered multiple ways to contact customer service agents.
Advantages Of Embrace Pet Insurance:
- There are no per incident limits on claims since Embrace Pet Insurance only offers annual limits on their coverage.
- You may qualify for a multi-pet discount.
- Claims are usually paid quickly, in as little as 5 days.
- You can opt for Wellness Rewards if you want a comprehensive way to pay for your pets healthcare.
- There is no lifetime limit on how much your pets healthcare can cost.
- Plans are customizable and easily tailored to your familys unique needs.
- Basic catastrophic plans can be very affordable.
- Visit any licensed veterinarian you want.
Where To Find Embrace Alternatives
Embrace Pet Insurance has many unique features, including a healthy pet deductible benefit. It also provides the chance to get wellness care covered, which some other pet insurers dont offer.
Caring For Your Pet In The Social Distancing Era
Aside from the aforementioned veterinary care, there are other measures you can take as a pet owner to keep your furry family member healthy and happy:
- Buy medicine Make sure to have enough prescriptions, such as heartworm, parasite, flea, and tick medicine, as well as any maintenance drugs.
- Stock up on food Consider using online services that deliver the food directly to your door to avoid unnecessary visits to the pet store or the supermarket.
- Work on your mental and physical health Pets pick up on their owners feelings, which means your anxiety can also affect them. Take care of yourself and other household members, so your pets feel more at ease with such an unusual amount of human contact.
- Exercise your pet Stay-at-home ordinances and self-isolation protocols limit the time you spend with your pet outside. Going for a walk following safety precautions, playing fetch or basic training techniques are some of the many ways to keep them active.
- Make the most of telemedicine services You keep your pet healthy while limiting visits to the vet and lessen the workload for veterinary staff in clinics and hospitals.
More vets than ever are incorporating telemedicine alternatives to their practice as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. An example of telemedicine is the vet using a video chat service to observe a patient and provide medical advice without having direct physical contact.
Recommended Reading: Does Parking Tickets Affect Insurance
Embrace Pet Insurance Policy And Discounts
Embrace has one standard plan that you can customize based on your budget and your pet’s needs. Deductibles range from $200 to $1,000 while reimbursement ranges from 70% to 90%. Annual maximums vary by region and your method of purchase:
|5% : for lump-sum payments|
Embrace Pet Insurance was started in 2003 by Laura Bennett and Alex Krooglik, with its first policy sold in 2006. Embrace’s pet health insurance plans are underwritten by American Modern Home Insurance Company and American Southern Home Insurance Company in Florida .
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authorâs opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.
Other Pet Insurance Companies We Considered
When we were narrowing down our list, a few companies stood out but didnt quite meet the requirements wed set for our top ten list.
- No coverage for specialist services
- Won’t cover prescription food or medication
To be clear, Pet Assure is not pet insurance but rather a discount plan that offers 25% off on all in-office medical procedures. While the program has participating veterinarians in all states, Puerto Rico and Canada, the number of providers by location is limited. Though we liked their affordable rates and lack of exclusions , Pet Assure didnt make our cut because its not pet insurance. However, it can be a great alternative, provided your vet accepts it.
Recommended Reading: Trustage Whole Life Insurance Reviews
Embrace Wellness Plans & Pricing
Embrace also offers an optional Wellness Rewards* program for an additional fee. Embrace will reimburse 100% of your pets routine care costs up to the selected amount of coverage you choose. You can select from the following amounts per year, which also lists their monthly cost:
- $250 Wellness Rewards per year: an additional $18.75 per month
- $450 Wellness Rewards per year: an additional $35.42 per month
- $650 Wellness Rewards per year: an additional $52.09 per month
This money can go toward the following but not limited to:
- If you have multiple pets, each one gets 10% off .
- Pay annually and get 5% off in NY.
- USAA customers are eligible for a discount of up to 15% off.