Choose The Best Pet Insurance Plan Type
Do you want a pet insurance that goes the extra mile every time, or do you want to hold down costs with an accident-only plan that wont pay anything for pet illnesses? Or something in between?
Comprehensive pet insurance plans that cover a wide range of health-related problems plus wellness are typically the most expensive, but it might be worth considering if you want complete coverage.
Pet insurance can be broken down into these plan types:
- Accident and illness insurance. This type of policy typically covers vet bills for accidents and illnesses, including common illnesses, hereditary conditions and serious illness . You wont be covered for wellness exams such as routine veterinary visits, flea and heartworm prevention, or vaccinations.
- Accident-only insurance. This type of policy covers vet bills if your pet is injured in an accident, but you wont be covered for illness-related medical bills.
- Routine wellness. This is usually add-on coverage that pays for medical expenses such as routine vet checkups, flea and heartworm prevention, and vaccinations.
Pet Wellness & Insurance Plans Can Help Your Finances
While a pet wellness plan can help you budget for your routine visits, a pet insurance plan can help you out during unexpected trips to the vet. Emergency vet visits can result in thousands of dollars in bills. If youre interested in learning more about pet insurance, you should start with exploring whether;pet insurance is worth it;and learn which pet insurance company may be the best for you based on your pets specific needs.
Why are you considering getting a pet wellness plan?
Best Pet Insurance Companies Of 2021
- Best for Routine Care: PetFirst
- Best for Multiple Pets: ASPCA
- Best for Emergencies: Embrace
- Best for Holistic Care: Figo
- Best for Older Dogs: Hartville
- Best for Chronic Conditions: 24PetWatch
- Best for Servicemembers: USAA
- Best Affordable Pet Insurance: Progressive
- Starting price: $99 per year
- Deductible: $0
While Pet Assure doesnt fall under the standard pet insurance umbrella, its low cost and flexibility make it our top pick for owners of all types of pets.
Covers all types of pets
No annual limits or deductibles
Not subject to waiting periods
Pays for pre-existing conditions
Limited to in-network veterinarians
Covers only 25% of costs
Prescriptions not covered
Pet Assure offers plans for a single cat, a single dog, a family plan for up to four animals of any size, and an unlimited plan for all pets in your household. Best of all, theres no waiting period before you can use your coverage. All of Pet Assures plans come with discounted veterinary services, including treatments related to:
- Pre-existing conditions
Pet Assure insurance is pretty affordable, plus there is no deductible. You can save some money on your policy if you choose the annual billing option. These are the rates for each insurance plan:
- Single cat plan: $9.95 per month;
- Single dog plan: $11.95 per month
- Family plan: $16.95 per month
- Unlimited plan: $21.95 per month
- Deductibles: None
Read Also: Does Parking Ticket Affect Insurance
Why Our Customers Picked Woolworths Pet Insurance
“Ive been using Woolworths Pet insurance for over 12 months. I now have two pets insured and every claim has been a simple process. The staff on the phone are super helpful and very knowledgeable in their terms and conditions.”
“Thus far I have only minor claims the settlement of which has been to my satisfaction, I don’t relish the thought of any major claims as my pet Bonny is a much loved family member.”
Thinking of adopting a pet?
Start your search today
If you have Comprehensive cover for your dog, your premium includes the following Routine Care options.
You can claim your $50 Annual Benefit on either:
Then you can choose to claim another $50 for one of the following treatments:
|Obedience training||Dew claw removal|
If your pet has a Pre-existing Condition, you may not be covered for any related treatments or illnesses which happen as a result of the condition.
A pre-existing condition is:
- A condition that existed or occurred prior to the commencement date of your first policy period or within any applicable waiting period.
- A condition that you or your vet were aware of, or a reasonable person in your circumstances would have been aware of. This is irrespective of whether the underlying or causative condition was diagnosed at the time.;
See your Product Disclosure Statement for more information and examples of pre-existing conditions.;
Simply call us on ;and we’ll price beat your premium.
What Increases And Lowers Premium Costs
The average monthly cost of pet insurance with accident and illness coverage is $49.51 for dogs and $28.48 for cats, which partially answers how much a dog costs and how much a cat costs.
Pet insurance costs vary widely based on several factors, including the pets breed, gender, age, location, and your chosen coverage options and deductible.
- Pre-existing conditions Pet insurance providers will not reimburse you for conditions your dog, cat, or other pet already had before you bought the pet insurance policy.
- Preventative care add-ons Youll get the best value from an accident or illness coverage plan, but you could add coverage for preventative care. Policies that cover routine care and accident or illness care are called comprehensive coverage.
- Pets age After your dog or cat reaches age 12, your choices for new coverage will diminish significantly. To have the most options, buy a policy before your pet reaches an advanced age.
- Deductibles With many plans, you set the deductible, which is the money you must pay before your insurance policy kicks in. Watch out for per-incident deductibles. Per-year deductibles provide a better value.
- Where you live Generally speaking, pets that live in urban areas will have higher pet insurance rates due to higher costs of veterinary care, among other socioeconomic factors. Some states may also have higher costs, such as New York or California.
Also Check: Do Parking Violations Affect Insurance
How Pet Health Insurance Works
- Waiting periods Your insurance cover wont pay until youve completed a waiting period. Most companies require at least 14 days after enrollment before reimbursing you for a vet visit that your pet needs for an illness.
- Exclusions Pet insurance policies usually exclude specific conditions in the policys language. Be sure to read your policy before buying it, so youll know how your pet insurance works
- Network restrictions Pet insurance companies generally dont have networks. However, some insurers may limit certain coverage to specific vets. Some may not cover your pet while you travel in Canada or Puerto Rico. We recommend insurers with no restrictions to ensure youre covered anywhere in the United States.
Most Popular Wellness Plans
Here is a list of the best pet wellness plans in America.
Embraces Wellness Rewards plan offer the option for $250, $450 or $650 per year in wellness coverage.
You can add BestWellness routine care coverage to any regular plan.
Choose between Preventative Care Prime or Preventative Care Basic .
Whole Pet with Wellness covers 90% of all routine care expenses.
How Premiums Are Calculated
Pet insurance premiums are based on the risks associated with the insured pet and the likelihood of a claim being made on your policy in the future.
Your insurer may take various factors into account when determining your premium, such as:
- The species, breed and age of your pet. Certain breeds may be genetically predisposed to certain illnesses. For example, French bulldogs are prone to glaucoma
- Where you and your pet live. Some areas may make pet ownership more risky. For instance, living in an area where paralysis ticks are present may affect your premium
- The type of cover selected
- The amount of excess selected
- Applicable government charges and administration fees
You may be able to get certain discounts if you insure more than one pet.
When comparing pet insurance, dont just look at the premium check what is included in your policy and make sure it meets your needs.
Best Affordable Pet Insurance: Progressive
- Coverage Types: Accident, illness, wellness
- Starting Price: $6 to $9 per month
- Deductible: $50 to $1,000
Progressives pet insurance policies start at just $6 per month and there are multiple discounts available, making it one of the best affordable providers on our list.
Easy to get a quote online
24/7 Pet Helpline
Unlimited annual coverage limit option
Progressive doesnt underwrite its own policies
Progressive sells pet insurance through Pets Best, one of the leading pet insurance providers. There are four insurance plans available that cover accidents and illnesses, accidents only, and routine care. There is a two-day waiting period to use your coverage for accidents and 14 days for illnesses.;
The BestBenefit Plan is the accident and injury plan, which covers the following:
The Accident-Only Plan covers treatment and medical services related to accidents, such as:;
- Broken bones
- Swallowed objects
- Eye injuries
Progressive also sells two preventive and routine care policies through Pets Bestthe EssentialWellness Plan and the BestWellness Plan. These plans cover the same services and treatments, but they have different annual benefits. The EssentialWellness Plan includes up to $305 in annual benefits and the BestWellness Plan includes up to $535 in annual benefits. Here is a brief list of services that these plans cover:
- Teeth cleaning
- Accident-only plan for cats: $6 per month
- Accident-only plan for dogs: $9 per month
Read Also: Does Dental Insurance Cover Veneers
Pet Insurance Saves You From Unexpected Vet Bills
If youve ever seen a GoFundMe campaign for a pets unexpected vet bills, you know how expensive treatment can be.
Maybe youve been in that situation yourself.
Financially, you feel trapped between a rock and a hard place.
Pet insurance gives you peace of mind that someone is there to help you with unforeseen costs.;
Pet parents should not have to choose between their pets life and vet expenses. And with the best pet insurance, you wont have to.
To get a free quote on pet insurance, click the button below.
Is Pet Insurance Worth It
Whether pet insurance is worth it or not ultimately depends on your budget as a pet parent and your pets health needs. If your pet is young and healthy, pet insurance may not be as necessary though the older they get, the more expensive to insure. If your pet is older and its breed has a history of illnesses, pet insurance could be a help in the long run. Before committing to a pet insurance policy, always consider its overall costs, and compare it to the potential veterinary bills you might incur. If the difference is considerable, chances are that your pet can benefit from pet insurance.
Don’t Miss: Do Parking Tickets Affect Car Insurance
How Are Pet Wellness Premiums Determined
Overall, there are many contributing factors that help determine your wellness plans monthly premium. Here are a few details that will affect your premium amount:
- Age: The older your pet is, the more likely you will need to pay more monthly for your wellness plan coverage.
- Breed: Because some breeds are more susceptible to certain illnesses or injuries, you may be more likely to pay a higher monthly premium. Pet breeds that are in need of more routine treatments to prevent certain illnesses or injuries can expect to have higher monthly premiums.
- Species: The type of pet you have will contribute to your premium. Pets that require more overall routine or preventive care will have a higher premium for their coverage.
- Wellness plan details: The details of your specific wellness plan will play into how much you pay per month. Your reimbursement percentage, yearly deductible, and overall coverage cap will contribute to your monthly premium amount.
Additionally, depending on what treatments and procedures your insurance plan covers, you may be required to pay more or less for your monthly premium. Plans that have more holistic coverage and offer more treatments are likely to have higher overall premiums.
Does Pet Insurance Cover Dental
Accident and illness pet insurance policies generally cover non-routine dental work and issues, such as gum disease. However, it doesnt include coverage for care to maintain your pets dental health, such as tooth brushing and cleaning.
If you want coverage for professional teeth cleaning, consider purchasing a pet wellness plan as an add-on to pet insurance.
Weve reviewed the best pet dental insurance policies for those of you with concerns about your dogs dental coverage.
Also Check: Does Dental Insurance Cover Veneers
Best Pet Insurance Companies Of August 2021
|Best for Dogs||Best for Innovation and Affordability|
$7-15k for cats, $10-20k for dogs
$7-15k for cats, $10-20k for dogs
Pet insurance helps pay for your pets medical care, with many policies covering up to 90 percent of your vet bill. However, this can be less if a procedure is excluded from coverage or surpassed your annual expense cap. The best pet insurance company is the one that meets your pets needs when you need them.
Most leading pet insurance companies give pet owners comprehensive coverage at an affordable monthly premium. Yet, a study from March 2021 on pet ownership found that only 25% of pet owners have pet insurance. Shop around, do the research into what pet insurance coverage costs, and then make a well-informed decision about the insurance thats best suited to care for your pet and your pocket.
Reason #2 Prevent Pet Homelessness
Fixing your dog or cat can help prevent the overpopulation of pets.
In the United States, for every human born, there are seven puppies and kittens born, and the reality is there arent enough homes for these animals. Sterilization is the most effective method for pet population control.
When pets are unable to breed, theyre not reproducing animals that may end up in shelters or worse, euthanized. Consider getting your dogs and cats spayed to stop pet overpopulation.
Also Check: Is Trustage Life Insurance Any Good
What Do Pet Wellness Plans Cover
Most pet wellness plans are separate from your average pet insurance coverage. Typically, pet insurance providers offer plans that cover illness-only treatments, injury-only, or a combination of the two. Your provider may offer wellness plans as a separate plan or as add-on options.
For wellness plans, you can expect many of the same types of treatments to be covered, including:
- Wellness visits: Regular check-ups, wellness exams and routine physical exams are often covered by wellness plans.
- Vaccines & pest treatments: Vaccines that help to prevent common illnesses as well as pest preventive treatments for fleas, ticks, ringworm, and more are typically covered under a wellness plan.
- Microchipping & other procedures: Spaying, neutering, deworming and microchipping, as well as other preventive procedures are generally covered.
Though wellness plans offer different treatments from your typical pet insurance plans, it is important to note they will often not cover treatments for pre-existing conditions. Pets with cancer or other serious pre-existing conditions may not be covered under a wellness plan for treatments related to those specific health issues. Additionally, cosmetic procedures are also not covered under these plans.
What Is Pet Insurance
Pet insurance is a health insurance policy for your pet that pays for medical expenses and sometimes other costs. Pet insurance plans are typically reimbursement-based, meaning you pay up-front for the pets vet bills and submit a claim to the insurance company.
Theres usually a deductible to pay before coverage starts. For example, you might pay the first $500 in vet bills before the pet insurance starts to pay.
Even after your deductible, the pet insurance may not pay 100% of vet bills. You can typically choose your reimbursement level. Common reimbursement options are 70%, 80% or 90% of your vet bills.
Read Also: Who Is The Best Home Insurance Company
Does Pet Insurance Cover Hip Dysplasia
Accident-only plans cover vet bills like toxin ingestion and physical injuries, while illness plans cover illnesses like ear infections, cancer, and hereditary conditions such as hip dysplasia. Embrace, a pet insurance agency, is a great example of a unique policy since its Accident & Illness plan includes protection for pre-existing conditions they consider curable. The company determined specific curable pre-existing conditions if they dont recur for at least one year.
Pets Best Routine Care Coverage
We want to point out the benefits and features of this plan first as a wellness add-on to an excellent pet insurance product, since Pets Best is one of our top-ranked pet insurance companies.
Pets Best has two choices for typical add-on wellness or routine care plans: EssentialWellness and BestWellness. These wellness plans are add-ons to the health insurance product and cover many different services and treatments. However, theres a per-item limit .;You can only add the wellness plan within 30 days of enrolling in one of its pet insurance plan or at its annual renewal.
With Pets Best, you pay $14-30 per month , but its based on a per item basis . So if your vet charges more than the allotted amount, you will only be eligible to receive reimbursement up to Pets Bests per item limit for that service.
Pets Best has no deductible, and coverage begins the day after you enroll.;Below are the specifics for Pets Bests Routine Care plans.
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25|
24PetWatch offers two wellness plans: Wellness Care Routine and Wellness Care Advanced.
Both plans have limits on what 24PetWatch will cover per item. Plans start at $10 per month for Wellness Care Routine and $25 per month for Wellness Care Advanced. There is no deductible or co-pay. Below are the details for 24PetWatch wellness plans.
AKC has two plans to choose from:;Defender and DefenderPlus.
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25|
Don’t Miss: Does State Farm Carry Pet Insurance