Insurance For Older Mobile Homes
A vintage mobile home can be a great investment if youre looking for affordable property. When most people think of mobile homes, they think of trailers that look like giant aluminum cans in the middle of the desert. But those are the mobile homes of the past, after 1976, mobile homes were built larger and look similar to traditional stick-built homes. These older mobile homes can be maintained and last for nearly 30 years.
With advancements in technology and new materials, older mobile homes can be upgraded, renovated, and preserved to extend their lifespan. If you do decide to bring an older mobile home back to life, be sure to protect with insurance. We can help you find the best rates on insurance for older mobile homes from Foremost Insurance. Older mobile home insurance covers:
- Loss caused by fire, lightning, wind, hail, water damage from sewers and drains, earthquakes, etc.
- Stated value loss settlement: If a total loss has occurred, you can settle for the full amount of your property at the value listed on your policy
- Trip coverage if you move your home to a new location
- Collision Coverage in case of any collisions during transport of your home
- Personal Property coverage
- Replacement Cost coverage for your mobile home and personal belongings
- All-perils coverage for tools
How To Buy Mobile Home Insurance
Before you settle on one mobile home insurance policy, get quotes from several mobile home insurance companies to find the best price. You may discover that two insurers offer nearly the same coverage options for noticeably different prices. Here’s how to buy mobile home insurance:
- Determine the cost of replacing your manufactured home
- Make a list of all your valuables and approximate costs
- Review the quotes carefully to know what coverages your mobile home insurance policy comes with
- Determine if you need additional coverages for high-value items or non-attached structures on the property
- Take advantage of any discounts such as multiple policies, autopay or having an installed home security system
- Once you’re insured, document your property and belongings by making a video and/or taking photos. Write down serial numbers, save copies of receipts and save them in a safe place. In case of property damage or theft, the information will help you settle your claim faster.
If your mobile home was manufactured before 1976 then you should buy older mobile home insurance.
Mobile Home Coverage Options In Venice Florida
- Building Coverage
- Coverage for attached structures
- Personal Property
- Protection from fire, theft, vandalism, interior water damage, and acts of god
- Optional Flood Insurance coverage
- Varying deductible choices
- And many others …
We pride ourselves in customer service and the ability to proivde a great rate for excellent coverage. Just contact us today at to find your next Florida mobile home or manufactured home insurance policy. We service mobile home insurance policies in Venice, Florida including the Englewood, Nokomis, North Port, Port Charlotte, and Sarasota areas.
Is Mobile Home Insurance Required In Florida
Florida mobile home insurance is not mandatory unless you have financed your mobile or manufactured home. In that case, the lender will likely require you to have a Florida mobile home insurance policy for as long as you are making payments. Although you are not required to have manufactured homeowners insurance in force, having coverage could save you from a serious financial loss in case of damage or loss from a fire, hurricane or burglary.
How To Get Insurance For Your Mobile Home
Quote online or and experience how easy it is to safeguard your manufactured or modular home. Here are a handful of things to know so we can provide the most accurate quote:
- How is the home built? Know the basic details about your homes construction, including the year it was built, square footage, and whether its considered manufactured or modular.
- Is your home currently insured? If so, tell us your provider and how long youve had coverage.
- Do you need special coverage, like flood insurance? If your home is in a flood zone or you live near a body of water, you may need separate flood insurance coverage.
- Do you escrow or pay separately? You can certainly use an escrow account, plus we offer a range of payment options to fit your budget.
You May Like: Do Parking Tickets Affect Car Insurance
How To Get Insurance On An Old Mobile Home
Purchasing older mobile home insurance is similar to getting a policy on a newer mobile home. However, the age of a home and its condition can impact the rate you pay.
“Mobile homes may require a higher deductible,” Walker says.
As always, it makes sense to shop around to find the best deal on home insurance, as each insurer has its own rules for how it sets rates.
Best Mobile Home Insurance Companies
Not all insurance companies offer mobile or manufactured home insurance policies. Here are a few of the home insurance companies that do provide such policies, though some only work through affiliates.
- Allstate Includes many specialized coverages and a slew of unique discounts.
- American Family
- American Modern
- Assurant Mobile home insurance partner for GEICO, Progressive, and Liberty Mutual. Notably, Assurant offers online quoting for mobile home insurance policies. Also unique for including flood insurance coverage in its mobile home policies.
- Foremost Touts itself as the first insurance company to insure mobile homes. Partners with AARP to secure cheap mobile home insurance for qualifying members.
- State Farm
Its crucial to get mobile home insurance quotes from several different companies so that you can be sure youre getting the best possible deal the easiest way to do this is on the best quote comparison platform. Because different insurance companies use various factors to determine their rates, you can get wildly varying quotes from different companies for identical mobile home policies.
Insurify lets you compare quotes from several companies at once. Take the guesswork out of quotes comparison and get home insurance quotes that fit your needs and your budget.
Read Also: Does My Car Insurance Cover Broken Windows
Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Quotes In Your Area
Although mobile home insurance is optional in Florida, mortgage companies often require homeowners to get this type of coverage as a prerequisite for a loan.
Whether it’s required or not, mobile home insurance in Florida ensures you have financial protection if your home is damaged. Mobile home insurance quotes in Florida vary among insurance companies, so you should compare quotes before signing up for coverage.
Florida Mobile Home Insurance Quotes
While mobile home insurance in Florida has a reputation for being unaffordable, remember that the insurer makes all the difference. While you shop around, look for a provider that offers:
- Online quotes. With Kin, you can get a quote in minutes all online. We have a team of licensed insurance experts ready to help if you want personal guidance, too.
- Replacement cost coverage for the dwelling. Because manufactured homes depreciate in value quickly, itâs smart to have replacement cost coverage that can pay for what it would cost to replace your home, despite its depreciation, with a new, similar home. Kin can offer replacement cost coverage for mobile homes built after 1997.
- Excellent customer service.Read the reviews! You want a company that has your back at any point in your policy â from quotes to claims.
Mobile Home Insurance Rates In Florida
Mobile home insurance quotes in Florida will vary, depending on your home’s location, value, age and the coverage limit. Below, we provide a sample quote for a mobile home in Jacksonville, Florida, for varying dwelling coverage limits to showcase how different coverage limits impact your quote.
While mobile home insurance and traditional homeowners insurance policies have similar coverage, the costs vary.
Generally, mobile home insurance is more expensive than the cost of a homeowners insurance policy in Florida for a traditional-style home.
That’s because mobile homes are more susceptible to damage and therefore more costly to repair. Mobile home insurance companies in Florida often offer discounts to homeowners who install wind-resistant features to their homes. However, the best way to save money on mobile home insurance is to shop around and compare quotes.
Unfortunately, shopping for mobile home insurance in Florida isn’t easy. Some of the best mobile home insurance companies don’t offer policies in Florida, including Geico and Progressive. To save time and money, consider contacting an independent agent in your area.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.
Why You Can Trust Bankrate
Founded in 1976, Bankrate has a long track record of helping people make smart financial choices. Weve maintained this reputation for over four decades by demystifying the financial decision-making process and giving people confidence in which actions to take next.
Bankrate follows a strict editorial policy, so you can trust that were putting your interests first. All of our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and reviewed by subject matter experts, who ensure everything we publish is objective, accurate and worthy of your trust.
Our insurance team is composed of agents, data analysts, and customers like you. They focus on the points consumers care about most price, customer service, policy features and savings opportunities so you can feel confident about which provider is right for you.
- We guide you throughout your search and help you understand your coverage options.
- We provide up-to-date, reliable market information to help you make confident decisions.
- We reduce industry jargon so you get the clearest form of information possible.
All providers discussed on our site are vetted based on the value they provide. And we constantly review our criteria to ensure were putting accuracy first.
Recommended Reading: Does My Car Insurance Cover Broken Windows
Mobile Home Insurance Coverages
The following protections are included on most mobile/modular home policies:
If your home is damaged by a covered peril, dwelling coverage helps to repair or replace the physical structure.
Example: Your homes roof is damaged in a hailstorm. Dwelling insurance coverage can pay to repair your roof or replace it, if necessary.
Your personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing and electronics, is covered up to a specified limit if lost or damaged in a covered incident. Keep in mind, if youre in possession of jewelry, expensive artwork, or any other valuables, you may have to schedule the item on your policy .
Example: There is an outbreak of burglaries in your neighborhood, and your laptop is stolen. Youre covered for the actual cash value of the laptop, minus any deductible and up to the coverage limits on your policy.
If a household member is responsible for someone elses injury or damaged property, personal liability coverage can cover you up to your policys limits.
Example: Your children are playing soccer in the front yard, and accidentally kick the ball through your neighbors stained-glass window. Liability coverage will pay to replace the window, up to the limits of your policy.
Loss of use
Also known as additional living expenses, loss of use coverage can pay for meals and hotel costs if cant live in your home because of a covered loss.
What Does Florida Mobile Home Insurance Cover
Pays for property damage after a natural disaster or fire
Example: Strong winds cause a nearby tree to fall on your mobile home.
Pays for repairs to your belongings
Example: Someone breaks into your mobile home and steals your brand-new TV.
Pays for a lawsuit if someone is injured in your mobile home
Example: One of your guests trips on a rug and breaks an arm after the fall. Like standard homeowners insurance, most mobile home insurance policies will not cover flood damage. If you live in a flood-prone area, be sure to talk to your agent about obtaining flood insurance in addition to your mobile home insurance. Whether or not you own the land on which your home sits affects the value of your manufactured or mobile home and its insurability. If you do not own the land, be sure that the landowner has appropriate coverage.
Also Check: How To Obtain A Life Insurance License
What Affects Mobile Home Insurance Rates In Florida
Florida mobile home insurance rates are affected by a variety of factors.
- Where you live. Locations with higher land values, higher incidents of severe storms or wildfires, or more crime will typically have higher mobile home insurance rates.
- Your homes value. A single-wide home in a Florida mobile home park, for example, will likely cost less to insure than a double-wide home on private land that you own.
- The age of your home. Older mobile homes can be difficult and costly to insure because of the inherent risks for damage.
- The liability coverage you need.
- Your personal property coverage. The more personal property coverage you need, the more expensive your Florida mobile home insurance will be.
- Your deductible. Choosing a higher deductible will lower your insurance rates somewhat. Lower deductibles can mean even greater peace of mind but will increase what you pay for Florida mobile home insurance premiums.
Will I Have To Purchase My Policy Through Citizens
A common misconception regarding mobile home insurance coverage is that policies have to go through the Citizens Insurance company. In fact, there are many alternatives for you and your homeowners insurance needs. For more information on the alternatives to Citizens Insurance, read our recent article on the subject here. If youre looking for more value or lower premiums for your mobile home insurance policy, contact the Manatee County insurance experts at Anderson & Associates Insurance Group for a free policy review.
Read Also: How To Obtain A Life Insurance License
Older Mobile Home Insurance Discounts
There are some providers who offer special discounts that owners of older mobile homes will find especially helpful in reducing the cost of older mobile home insurance.
If your older mobile home is located in a mobile home park, you could be eligible for extra savings.
When you install smart home or security devices, you can earn extra discounts for having a safe home.
Owners of older mobile homes can earn discounts based on their age, with some providers offering savings for those 50 years of age or older.
When you maintain uninterrupted coverage on your older mobile home, you could earn additional savings.
When you do not file a claim within a certain period, your mobile home insurance company could reward you with a cheaper premium due to the lower risk.
When you opt for electronic statements, many insurance companies will reward you for doing your part for the environment with extra discounts.
Other discounts that may be available include savings for bundling policies, non-smokers, a new roof, auto-pay, and AARP members or AAA members.
Coverage A: Dwelling Coverage
This is coverage for the mobile home itself as well as attached fixtures and is based on both square footage and age. For example, some insurers may provide coverage for up to $75 per square foot for newer mobile homes, whereas stick-built homes are often insured for $150 per square foot or higher. Some policies may have a higher allowance or allow an additional amount of coverage, often limited to $5,000 or less.
Older homes may have a coverage limit as low as $35 per square foot. In general, expect the coverage amount to shrink on many policies as your mobile home ages, but some companies do offer replacement cost coverage, which is a much better way to insure your mobile home.
Its common to find older mobile home insurance policies written as actual cash value policies, which reduces the coverage amount over time. Also, mobile homes 15 years or older may be written as actual cash value policies. Be sure to ask your agent which type of coverage applies to your mobile home, replacement cost coverage or actual cash value coverage.
Coverage limits for attachments are often higher if the attachment was recently added. Awnings are also considered scheduled attachments. Be sure your insurer knows about any attachments to your home and dont assumeeverything attached to the exterior of your home is covered.
Also Check: Securedent Implant System
Age Of The Mobile Or Manufactured Home
If you are living in an older mobile home, especially one built prior to June 1976, it may be more difficult and costly to insure. Although your insurance options may be limited, you can still shop around by getting quotes from at least a couple of carriers to find the best price. Additionally, because age could impact the condition of a home, this may be a contributing factor to premiums.
Mobile Home Insurance: The Bottom Line
Though many people believe that mobile and manufactured homes are subject to depreciation, thats often not the case. Well-maintained homes in desirable locations often appreciate every year. Additionally, high-quality or classic mobile homes, think Airstream, often hold or appreciate in value wherever they are. The bottom line is: you deserve and need quality insurance to protect your investment.
Insurify lets you compare home insurance quotes from top companies. Your manufactured home policy will offer comprehensive coverage that will offer you covered losses for whatever life throws your way. Due to their increased exposure, mobile homes are often considered high-risk to insurers, but that doesnt mean it has to be expensive to insure your house. Weve got you covered.
Thats rightbe your own agent, find the right coverage for you, and cut your shopping time way down. Renters and owners can get covered today start your savings journey now!
Compare Quotes For Free
Also Check: Trustage Life Insurance Reviews 2020